One of the first things that people notice is your smile, and most people want to have a bright, white smile. Unfortunately, your teeth can start to turn yellow over time, and smoking can leave stains on your teeth. Also, drinking wine or coffee can often stain your teeth, affecting the appearance of your smile. There are a few different ways to whiten your teeth, and you can learn more about the best methods on this site.
Brushing and Flossing Regularly
Brushing and flossing are essential in maintaining your oral health and also in keeping your teeth white. Dentists recommend brushing at least twice a day, first thing in the morning and before bed. You should floss once a day at bedtime. Whitening toothpaste contains hydrogen peroxide that can whiten teeth and remove stains, and there are different formulas to choose from.
There are plenty of natural teeth whitening methods online today, but they aren’t as safe and effective as you think. There are several fruits that the internet claims can whiten your teeth, but many fruits are acidic, which can wear away the enamel and cause tooth sensitivity. Some websites claim that spices such as turmeric can whiten your teeth, and swishing coconut oil works. Unfortunately, these are just myths, and there’s no scientific evidence that these methods are effective.
Most whitening methods that use ingredients in your kitchen are either ineffective or harmful, and it’s best to speak to your dentist before trying any natural methods.
Home Whitening Kits
Home whitening kits are very popular today, and Americans spend over $1 billion a year on these products. There are several types of home whitening products to choose from, including:
- Whitening strips: Whitening strips are one of the most popular methods, and there are several brands to choose from. Crest Whitening Strips are the most widely used and are the easiest type to use. The strips are placed over your top and bottom teeth, and the strips must stay on for 30 minutes a day to get the maximum effect.
- LED whitening kits: This method is the closest you can get to professional whitening. The kits come with the whitening agent and plastic mouth trays to keep the whitening agent on your teeth. It also comes with an LED light that breaks down stains on the teeth, allowing them to whiten faster. These products are safe for enamel, and the whitening agents don’t cause sensitivity. The top whitening kits include:
- iSmile Home Teeth Whitening
- Crest 3D Whitestrips Sensitive and LED light
- Smile Direct Club Professional At Home Whitening
- Purely White Teeth Whitening Kit
- Clear Club Custom Whitening Kit
- Whitening pens: Whitening pens contain carbamide peroxide or a combination of urea and hydrogen peroxide to whiten your teeth, and the carbamide peroxide takes longer to whiten your teeth. The pen contains a soft brush tip designed to brush the whitening agent on your teeth. The agent will start to solidify and leave a film that adheres to your teeth, causing the whitening effect. There are several types to choose from, and overnight pens whiten your teeth while you sleep. Whitening pens reach teeth that other whitening methods can’t, making them a popular option.
Professional whitening is the most effective and safest whitening method and is done at your dentist’s office. Your dentist will record the color of your teeth and show you various shades so you can choose the one that best fits you. First, the dentist will use pumice to polish the teeth and remove any plaque on the surface. Next, they will prepare your mouth to ensure your cheeks and lips don’t wipe away the whitening agent. They’ll also put a barrier at the gumline to protect the gums from the whitening agent. A light is used to activate the bleaching agent, which is left on the teeth for 30 to 60 minutes. Most people need multiple treatments, and some are done in the dentist’s office. Your dentist may also send you home with the whitening agent and trays so you can complete the treatments at home.
The whitening agents used by dentists are more powerful than home whitening kits because they go below the enamel to remove deep down stains.
Yellow and stained teeth can make you feel uncomfortable when smiling and laughing. Fortunately, you don’t have to live with the embarrassment, and there are whitening options available. If you use the products as directed, you can whiten your teeth over time or after just one application, depending on the method you choose. When the treatment is complete, you will have the bright, white smile you’ve always wished you had.