“Who am I? Who are friends? My life changed,” expressed Beyonce, the world-famous singer and actress who suffered bouts of depression in her career. I unexpectedly confronted this quote while going through psychological ill-effects and analyzing the depression concept. Blown by the astonishing facts, I dug up a little more and came across various quotes about depression in life. We, as normal people, tend to judge depression very easily and pour advice being ignorant of the actual situation. These carefully selected quotes about depression in life capture what exactly depressed people feel and their struggling journeys.
- “Then night falls again and again, and you still have no idea where you are, and it’s time to admit that you have bewildered yourself so far off the path that you don’t even know from which direction the sun rises anymore.”―Elizabeth Gilbert
- “I am bent, but not broken. I am scarred, but not disfigured. I am sad, but not hopeless. I am tired, but not powerless. I am angry, but not bitter. I am depressed, but not giving up.”―Unknown
- “Depression is melancholy minus its charms.”―Susan Sontag
- “Depression is being colorblind and constantly told how colorful the world is.”―Unknown
- “There are wounds that never show on the body that are deeper and more hurtful than anything that bleeds.”―Laurell K. Hamilton
- “The worst type of crying wasn’t the kind everyone could see–the wailing on street corners, the tearing at clothes. No, the worst kind happened when your soul wept and no matter what you did, there was no way to comfort it. A section withered and became a scar on the part of your soul that survived.”―Katie McGarry
- “Dead, but not allowed to die. Alive, but as good as dead.”―Suzanne Collins
- “If you have been brutally broken but still have the courage to be gentle to other living beings, then you’re a badass with a heart of an angel.”—Keanu Reeves
- “It is very hard to explain to people who have never known serious depression or anxiety the sheer continuous intensity of it. There is no off switch.”—Matt Haig
- “Depression isn’t a war you win. It’s a battle you fight every day. You never stop, never get to rest. It’s one bloody fray after another.”―Shaun David Hutchinson
Depression neither has a shape nor a form. Depression does not have any gender. Unmanaged and unattended despairs lead to a variety of emotional and physical problems that decrease the ability to work, sometimes even to think properly. Finding and listing quotes about depression in life actually made me realize people’s pains, struggles, anxiety, heartbreaks, and desperation. I hope these quotes will emphasize the importance of respecting those who are facing lows in life and spread the word about depression―an unseen, but menacing mind monster.