Focused on What Matters: Embracing Humanity and Protecting the Planet
MGM Resorts International, a global entertainment company, known for featuring world-class experiences through various amenities, announced an evolved vision for social impact and sustainability. The vision includes setting goals to bolster diversity and inclusion, donating millions of meals and scholarship and educational opportunities for employees and their families.
Through “Focused on What Matters: Embracing Humanity and Protecting the Planet” commitment, MGM Resorts aims to create a more sustainable future, while striving to make a bigger difference in the lives of its employees, guests and in the communities where the Company operates. With a global presence and more than 80,000 employees worldwide, MGM Resorts set concrete goals within four priority areas to serve customers guided by the Company’s commitment to the UN Sustainable Development Goals. They are:
Fostering Diversity & Inclusion– MGM Resorts is committed to foster and enhance talent management systems that ensure equal access to employment and career growth opportunities for all. The Company prior to education and training creates welcoming, inclusive environments where diverse ideas and perspectives lead to innovative and creative solutions to drive business growth and expand Company goodwill around the world.
Investing in Community– By enhancing the social and cultural fabric in the communities where the Company operates, the Company is working to elevate the quality of life for everyone in communities.
Caring for One Another– With a focus on core initiatives of hunger relief, public education, workforce development, diversity, environmental sustainability, and health & wellness MGM Resorts supports host communities’ unique challenges.
Protecting the Planet– MGM Resorts believes that environmental leadership is critical to ensuring the long-term viability of corporations – and the planet. The Company is committed to being a global advocate in accelerating the fight against climate change.
At present, the MGM Resorts’ social impact and sustainability goals are woven into the Company’s strategic plans from its people practices to sustainable business operations, to global supply chain networks. Here are some of the Company’s commitments to achieve by 2025 include:
- Reaching 1 million cumulative volunteer hours through the employee volunteer program
- Donating 5 million meals through the Company’s Feeding Forward program, which provides unserved food from our resorts
- Awarding 600 post-secondary scholarships to children of employees
- Reducing carbon emissions per square foot by 45%, energy per square foot by 25%, water per square foot by 30% and achieving 60% materials diversion rate
- Spending at least 10% of the Company’s domestic biddable procurement spend with diverse suppliers
- Ensure that all employees – including women, the LGBTQ+ community, people of color and people with disabilities – have equal access to leadership opportunities throughout MGM Resorts and that our policies of inclusion are embedded into our culture
In addition to this creative vision, MGM signed onto the United Nations Global Compact confirming its commitment to enhancing its focus on embracing humanity and protecting the planet. This UN’s call invites companies to align strategies and operations with universal principles on human rights, labor, environment, and anti-corruption and take actions that advance societal goals.