The much-anticipated Oscars 2022 Awards were announced Sunday as some of the world’s best films and performances were bestowed by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Dune, a 2021 Sci-Fi film directed by Denis Villeneuve, bagged six awards—the most by any film this year. Besides Dune, one film that grabbed everyone’s attention and placed itself in the record books was ‘CODA’.
CODA Wins Big
Written and directed by Sian Heder, CODA won overall three awards at the Oscar 2022. The English-language remake of the 2014 French film La Famille Belier, CODA is a film that brings deaf culture and deaf actors to the forefront. The movie made history as it became the first film produced by a streaming service to win the Best Picture. It beat the likes of Drive my Car, Power of the Dog, and Belfast to win the award. Moreover, Troy Kotsur of CODA became the first deaf man to win an Academy Award for acting as he won the award for the Best Supporting Actor.
Streaming Studios gaining Momentum
In the recent few years, we have witnessed a surge in the number of films produced by streaming studios. The trend started building momentum when Manchester by the Sea by Amazon Studios was nominated as one of the best pictures at the Academy Awards 2017. It further accelerated during the COVID-19 outbreak as audiences were unable to watch the movies in theaters.
During the pandemic, numerous films were made available on streaming/OTT platforms shortly after their theatrical releases. Some films were even released on streaming platforms due to the restrictions. This, at the time, might have seemed to be a temporary trend. However, even after theaters are opening up presently, many distributors are preferring to release movies on streaming platforms as quickly as possible.
Streaming studios such as Amazon, Netflix, etc. are also trying their hand in producing more movies. The results of this shift are already visible as eight out of ten movies nominated for the Best Picture at Oscar 2022 were available on various streaming platforms before the award ceremony.
This increasing popularity of streaming services marks the rapid shift of the cinema industry from brick-and-mortar theaters to a home-based, intuitive experience.
List of Winners at Oscars 2022
- Best Picture: CODA
- Best Actress: Jessica Chastain (The Eyes of Tammy Faye)
- Best Actor: Will Smith (King Richard)
- Best Director: Jane Campion (The Power of the Dog)
- Best Original Song: No Time to Die
- Best Documentary Feature: Summer of Soul
- Best Adapted Screenplay: CODA
- Best Original Screenplay: Belfast
- Best Costume Design: Cruella
- Best International Feature: Drive My Car
- Best Supporting Actor: Troy Kotsur (CODA)
- Best Animated Feature: Encanto
- Best Visual Effects: Dune
- Best Cinematography: Dune
- Best Supporting Actress: Ariana DeBose (West Side Story)
- Best Film Editing: Dune
- Best Score: Dune
- Best Sound: Dune
- Best Production Design: Dune
- Best Makeup and Hairstyling: The Eyes of Tammy Faye
- Best Documentary (short subject): The Queen of Basketball
- Best Short (Animated): The Windshield Wiper
- Best Short Film (Live Action): The Long Goodbye